Many families have cats as pets in their homes, surely you are one of them, and have you ever wondered how to punish cats if they misbehave? And if that’s okay.
While these are usually cool, calm, and playful, there are times when animal instinct and wild instinct emerge and they can do things that can annoy us, indoors.
For cats to learn that certain behaviors are not good, it is possible to “educate” them and sometimes “correct” certain behaviors.
When we talk about punishments, we are never referring to physical abuse of the cat, it is simply doing something that makes them uncomfortable or annoying so that the cat can associate this with their bad attitude, and they do not want to do it. one more time.
We also don’t want our cats to start seeing us as an enemy or to be afraid of us. It is important not to go over certain lines.
By the way, please, we ask if you have had a personal experience with your cat, share it in the comments (below), with the rest of the CATKINO community and thousands of cat-loving readers.
But how to “punish” cats? What is the correct way to do this? Well, in this post we are going to mention the proper ways to correct certain behaviors and/or reprimand a cat when it behaves badly or does something bad. Do we begin?
Punishing cats with positive punishment
We must know the context of punishment, as there are different meanings of this term. In the event of punishment for the bad behavior of our pet, we will take the punishment as a measure of warning, prevention and education.
There are two types of punishment, violent punishment, and positive punishment, and when it comes to educating our cats, the correct punishment is positive, and it is more like a lesson, to make them understood peacefully, without aggression, with direct associations. Some positions are wrong. Let’s see it.
Does the cat understand the punishment?
If your way of punishing and scolding your cat is by yelling or hitting, then definitely not! This way you do not understand.
The only thing that gets accomplished by these “violent corrective” actions is that they start to fear you. They see in you instead of a companion of protection, an enemy that harms them.
Therefore, punishment should be understood as an action.
How to punish cats when they bite
There may be times when your cat will bite you while playing, sometimes without expecting it or on the legs, for no reason. This is because they are animals with wild instincts.
Cats that live in freedom learn how to socialize through these behaviors and one of them is petite bites at games with their siblings.
If this happens, you simply have to stay still, until the cat leaves you. In general, the most common thing is that it bites you on the hands.
Once he releases you, gently release him from his grip so he doesn’t bite her again.
So that they do not repeat this action and understand that biting is wrong, what you need to do is that each time they do this while playing, immediately stop the game so that in this way they associate your actions with theirs.
It is important to clarify that it is not a good idea to play with your hands directly. Always do this with a tool (rods, toys, strings). A cat can view direct contact as an attack.
So if you have a toy nearby, and you see a threat of wanting to bite you, offer him this toy, this way he will also understand that you do not want him to bite you.
Whether you decide to punish or correct biting behavior, you need a little patience. At any point, you will notice that he is not doing that anymore.
How do you punish your cat when you pee outside?
A cat may develop the habit of urinating outside of her litter box everywhere.
This is undoubtedly a stressful behavior because it is not pleasant to find cat urine in all corners and spaces of your home.
But if this is happening, what should we do? Well, first of all, you should know why your cat is doing this because it could be an act of rebellion, or he is a health problem or he is feeling stressed and uncomfortable about something.
There are several reasons why your cat can urinate everywhere, and you must first find out why to take action.
If you discover that your cat is peeing everywhere based on instinct (locating the area), there are ways to correct and/or punish it. The main thing is that when he ignores him, of course, do not yell at him. It is useless and will only make the behavior worse.
You start ignoring it when you do because what your cat is often looking for is attention.
When you see that he is peeing somewhere he shouldn’t, take him to the litter box, and do so, even if he is still peeing.
Another way to correct this behavior is to spray it with a little bit of water, without seeing you do it, or to blow something out loud to make him freak out a little.
The uncomfortable and uncomfortable sensations these actions will cause you will be linked to your behavior and you will soon stop doing it. Be consistent and be patient.
To correct and prevent cats from urinating outside, these are some important recommendations you should keep in mind:
- You should check that the sandbox is not dirty and that it is properly located. Quiet place at home with little traffic
- Change the type of sand. Maybe the person you’re wearing is annoyed or you don’t find it interesting.
- Watch carefully, if nothing happens that could stress your cat.
- If you have multiple cats, find multiple litter boxes. (They must have more than one)
- Sterilize your cat.
- Use synthetic cat hormones to calm them down
- If you are not clear about the reason for this behavior, go to your trusted veterinarian and explain what is wrong with it. It could be a sign that something is wrong with her health.
How to punish a cat if he misbehaves?
A cat’s behavior will depend in large part on the education and affection we give him. From the restrictions and controls that we impose on them from childhood to coexist well.
But there are indeed many reasons why hide behind a cat:
- He did not mix with his mother and brothers
- The cat already has a strong personality
- Something happened (aggression, abuse…)
- She has health problems
- You feel scared, stressed, or frustrated about things you don’t like or can’t get used to.
- Poor nutrition or poor hygiene.
- It’s a bit violent when it comes to playing
As we mentioned at the beginning of the post, it is not physical punishment, it will simply be an incentive that we will provoke, to do something that the cat finds annoying, immediately after it behaves incorrectly. This last point is very important.
We must make sure that these stimuli are strong enough to capture them, but without damaging them in any way. When you go to punish or scold a cat, you need to keep the following in mind:
- You should do this immediately after he makes the mistake so that he associates his behavior with punishment.
- Each punishment should have the appropriate severity that affects the animal so that it does not repeat the act, but does not cause misbehavior.
- Under no circumstances should you physically abuse a cat.
There are 3 different forms of reprimand and/or punishment, which we must implement as we see fit.
- straight technology. This is done through words and sounds, like no! This is in conjunction with some actions that annoy the cat, such as when she plays and she does something wrong, she should say no! And they stopped playing.
- remote technology. This is applied without the cat being able to see us, such as by using a spray or making a loud noise. For example, if you see him urinating in a place that is not there, without him seeing you (this is very important) spray him with water.
- With traps, tastes, and smells. For this, you don’t even have to be present. For example, if you catch him biting something he shouldn’t do and you know he is doing it constantly, but something that tastes bitter to the cat on the thing he is biting (eg lemon or orange peel), with that new flavor, he will soon stop.
If It Snores At Me, Should I Punish My Cat?
If your cat snores at you at any time, before you punish or reprimand her for doing so, you should know why she is doing so.
Namely, the cat needs its own space, and when it feels invaded, it is normal for it to have some reaction.
And snoring could be one of them. Another reason for snoring is:
- Fear, pain, and anger
- defending their lands,
- change causes stress
- Because something is bothering them.
- health problem
Things you should never do when punishing cats
You should know that there are certain things that you should not do to punish or reprimand the kitten.
Remember that punishment should only help correct their mistakes, not turn them into a hairball full of fear.
Among these things you should not do:
- Yell at him out loud.
- Hit him with your hand or something.
- Cuddle or comfort them after you have scolded them just because you felt sorry for them. After you scold him, leave him alone for a bit.
- Not noticing the reason for their behavior. Sometimes the cause is stress or a health problem. In the second case, it is a good idea to consult your trusted veterinarian when in doubt. Examination on time can give us peace of mind.
And that’s it in the post, we hope that the information here was very useful to you and that you understood how to punish cats properly. We invite you to share the information and if you have something to add feel free to comment.
You can learn more about raising cats here